PEMF MYTHS, LIES AND SCAMS:
There are a lot of myths and even some outright lies and scams, perpetuated about PEMF therapy. The excerpts below will hopefully help give you some guidance to help you determine if and what PEMF device will work for your personal needs. To read the full article written by Dr. William Pawluk, click HERE.
· PEMFS AREN’T EFFECTIVE
With all the decades of research available on the effectiveness of magnetic field therapies I find it very frustrating that this is still a common refrain. What that tells me is that people simply aren’t doing the review of the research required to discover the benefits of PEMF therapy. PEMF therapy impacts the body on a cellular level, which means it can have a positive impact on a wide range of health problems and conditions.
PEMFS ARE DANGEROUS
This myth comes from lack of understanding. The research easily refutes this claim. In fact, every study conducted has backed up the safety of this type of therapy, showing no significant adverse side effects — which certainly can’t be said for treatment with prescription drugs!
· ONLY CERTAIN FREQUENCIES WORK
The best frequency for specific pathologies varies widely. While some like to debate the “best” frequency for PEMF therapy, I like to remind my clients that what is best right now, for a specific condition, may not be best later. The problem you are trying to treat makes a difference! Your biological makeup also has an impact, which is why what works for one person may not work well for another.
· ONE INTENSITY IS BETTER THAN ANOTHER
Another myth you might come across is that one intensity is the only effective, safe type of PEMF therapy. In reality, the intensity needed depends on the health condition you are treating. Most of the PEMF systems available are considered low-intensity in terms of magnetic field strengthThe deeper your problem is within your body, the higher intensity it will take to see results. That’s why quicker, more effective results are seen with higher intensity treatment. Low intensity treatment, on the other hand, offers mostly benefits for health maintenance and improving circulation in the body.
- THERE IS AN “IDEAL” TREATMENT TIME.
You might hear that you should only use a PEMF device for a few minutes at a time. Many systems promote the use of 8-minute treatments, though there is no research to substantiate this claim. In fact, most studies have used longer and varied treatment times and shown great benefits. Your condition, personal biology, the system you are using, and other factors all impact the ideal treatment time.It’s best to talk with a physician well versed in PEMF therapy before beginning your treatment to find the best amount of time for your specific needs. Some PEMF systems can be used for 12 hours per day with no adverse effects, and great benefits.
BEWARE OF SCAMS AND OUTRIGHT LIES
The truth is that any PEMF machine is likely to have some benefit to health – but it may not be the level of benefit you were looking for. Even medical professionals have to do extensive research to really understand the science behind PEMF therapy. Conventional medical training simply doesn’t include this information. If your only source of information about PEMFs is a general internet search, you probably won’t have the scientific knowledge you need to make the best selection.
· FDA APPROVAL IS NECESSARY/BEST Most manufacturers of PEMF devices actually choose NOT to seek FDA approval. Why? It’s far too limiting.If a device is FDA approved, there are strict parameters around what it can be marketed for. And if a device is FDA approved for a particular use, you can’t claim other benefits easily.
· PEMF MACHINES CAN’T BE USED FOR SPECIFIC CONDITIONS. PEMF devices are first and foremost wellness devices. Although some will say that you shouldn’t use PEMF therapy in conjunction with certain medications or with certain conditions (ie, cancer), there is no evidence that PEMF therapy will have any adverse effects. In fact, the opposite is true. Ample evidence exists that shows that PEMF therapy can be a very effective complement to most other treatments, especially in the area of pain relief.
WORKING WITH A TRAINED PROFESSIONAL IS THE BEST WAY TO FIND THE PEMF DEVICE THAT’S RIGHT FOR YOU
*The information shared above are excerptsfrom Articles written by William Pawluk, MD, MScBoard Certified Family Physician and Holistic Health Practitioner; Former Assistant Professor at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and University of Maryland. To read his full article, click here.